Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Real Reason....

This is baptism season. I will be hiding out until the fervor passes. So far there are 7 slated. I'm happy that people are finding something they like but hate the reprecussions when someone remembers I'm not a member. It can be frustrating.

I talked to her today about religion. And maybe part of the reason I don't want to be baptized is because there isn't a real history attached to this religion. It feels made up. (I was thinking of another word but it left me.) Plus, it's the religion. I have a hard time with a prophet although I know the Catholic church has a pope.  They aren't that different.  So I'll let that go.  The biggest reason why I've never been baptized...and the true reason...is because I don't believe in the bible.

That's right. I said it.

To me, the bible is a really good fairy tale. It has all the horrors and happy endings and fables/parables with the lesson at the end that other fairy tales have. It has interesting characters (but horrid language) and I have my favorite stories.  But to me, that's all they are.  Stories.  Used to scare people and keep them in line.  Add the new fairy tale book from them and you have an almost complete set.  I can't sit down and debate the merits of the bible as a "testament" if I don't see it that way.  He sees it as a flaw and once told me I need to pray because it might be different now. No. 

I remember when I was younger and read the Children's Catholic Bible. It had pretty pictures and great stories and really engaged me. I'd read it as a bed time story to myself (and my ultra-cool hippo). Maybe that's what started it. I just know that reading it as an adult doesn't interest me. I read the stories I want and I know where to find them. I hate it otherwise.

One of the problems I face, though--and it's completely my fault--I mentioned once that I used to talk to Jesus and he used to talk to me. When I was very little (starting at 4) he would visit every afternoon and we would chat. I didn't see him as anyone special or as anyone other than my friend. Yet, I told him, and it was a VERY BIG DEAL.  I don't see it. And I outgrew it. Partly because I lived through what he was there for and partly because someone needed him more. I wish I'd never told him.

Baptism season is in full affect. Avoidance Island is now open.

No comments: